Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The rain...

Some days it thunders down with a clack and a bang and starts streaming in sideways. You feel it coming those days, hours ahead of time. It hangs low, grumbling... threatening its goodness! Some days you can't even tell when it starts. It sneaks in like a cool sweet kiss and en wraps you with its mild wet hug. It soaks through to your bones and leaves nothing untouched!

The rain here is unpredictably sweet. It darkens the horizon and shortens the days. Sometimes is stays for a simple cup of coffee, and others you think its here to stay. Today it is the later. I woke up to the sound of sweet drops on the neighbors roof. I looked out and it was slick with what the hours had brought. Now as i look out my window... as I listen to the plick, plock and tapped-y-tap... I can't help but breath it in and sigh! I love it!

But I'm also reminded of how the long, drizzling rain storms cause the most damage. They flood the streets and overflow the canals, sometimes stopping all traffic, interrupting the Jeepney system and causing severe delays. Some of the more unfortunate in the squatter villages often come home to find their homes floating in the brown, sewage filled mire. To them, it is not a sweet delight. It is a nightmare. One that happens over and over again...

No comments:

Post a Comment