Monday, March 12, 2012

Bitter-Sweet


No doubt for many of those who read this blog regularly, you are confused by my silence. Perhaps you are even a bit concerned.

If so, let me reassure you. I’m alive and well --for the most part.

Considering that writing is my greatest catharsis, it can well be assumed something is wrong when I grow silent.

My silence stems not from a lack of stories but the energy to do it well.

Weeks have flown by at a mind-numbing speed while my brain swirls in a kaleidoscope of colors and words --of conversations and images. Dizzy I sputtered to a stop this week, only to have it race on. And on.

And on.

Admittedly, I’ve been coping in various ways. Hiding. Crying. Venting. Working. Praying. Hiding some more.

It has been a season of finding balance --of stopping to breathe --of learning to be still.

Now, I’m finally in a place where I can write again.

Finally.

The largest tidbit of news I have to share, as I watch the dust settle over my quieted heart, is that my season with this ministry is over.

Originally, I intended to complete my two years and take my furlough in June. But for various reasons (fatigue, new ministry directions, etc.), I asked my directors to consider replacing me before then.

I was not sure how long it would take to find my replacements, so I was unable to guess how much longer I had in Tonj. However, last Friday, one of my directors informed me that my replacements would be arriving in two weeks.

Two Kenyan midwives (or possibly nurses, I’m not sure) are coming to take over.

What that means is... the gentle birth I had on Thursday, was my last.

What that means is... I will not be returning to work at the clinic.

I’m not sure what the future holds right now. All I know is that a new season has begun... and it’s bitter-sweet.

Please pray for me as I transition out of this ministry, and make plans for the coming months. My heart is to stay in South Sudan and continue working as a midwife while training local midwives.

But honestly... I want God’s plans for me, not my own.

Pray specifically for me as...
  • I’m trying to get to Yei to speak with various ministries about starting a birthing clinic there.
  • I’m arranging to meet with the Ministry of Health in this region in hopes of learning what that will entail. 
  • I’m filling out applications for a wonderful ministry in the East working with refugees.
I trust God to guide me, and ask only that you’d stand with me in prayer.

Also... don’t be surprised if I start sharing some of the crazy things that have happened during these weeks of silence. I have TONS of stories to share... even if they are a bit late.

So keep and eye out for them. They’re coming...

9 comments:

  1. feeling for you as you go through this big adjustment phase. God still holds you in the palm of his hand,,,and that hand covers the whole world. So where ever you go, what ever you do, just keep doing it holding on to his hand, and it will always be under his control. Bless ya heaps Stephanie. Youve continually amazed me by your strength your commitments and your passion. Be blessed where ever you find yourself, and dont stop writing... Id follow your blog all around the world if thats where God takes you. Its brilliant.
    Jodie B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear your pain...God is very much in control of your life and ministry. I will pray for your requests. I have had doors close fast at my despair just to find out later that they were a huge blessing and what God had in mind in the next "stop" was even more dear to my heart! If it weren't for those difficult passages I would not be here right now...I am here to pray...just a stranger but a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. May God clearly guide as you seek to use your gifts to love Him (through your hands-on loving of mamas and babes). Praying for grace and joy in this transition time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am crying for you! This makes me oh so sad, and oh so happy for you all at the same time. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to hear from you, even thought I don't actually know you! I'm praying for God to guide you through this transition and that you can release any fear or anxiety to Him. I look forward to reading what He has in store for you next.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh Stephanie, I am sorry that you will not get to say goodbye to your friends. But I do know that God will open doors for you that you have never dreamed possible. There will be many Sudanese families that know life both here and in eternity because of your steadfast capable hands and glowing spirit. Hugs from one side of the world to the other.

    xx Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  7. The women you served on this mission will never forget you. Ever.

    Sending you all our hope and faith. Be well.

    Best,
    ~j

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a matter of fact, I did miss hearing from you, but I have faith that wherever you go you'll make a positive impact on the lives of the women you touch. You've always done an awesome job and I'm glad you got to save all the lives and hearts that you did there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have such a heart for women....it truly comes through in your writing. The Lord will use you to make an impact where ever you go....no doubt! Please, don't stop writing :)

    ReplyDelete