Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Wild, Wild... South?


The white pick-up truck blasted its horn with annoying persistence as it sped up to the clinic doors. Urgent voices shouted instructions as a handful of soldiers waved their AK-47s about like sticks.

Another emergency, Lord? Really...? How many this time?


I wearily slipped on gloves as I watched the cargo being unloaded. Our staff had to fight to carry the broken soldier in our front door; each one held a limb.

It took four strong men to lift him; their hurried instructions and shuffled steps left a steady trail of blood as they went.

Once on the bed, everyone seemed intent on getting to him at once. Five of them attempted to cut off his shirt while two others turned in circles. Getting close enough to help was next to impossible.

Fortunately Dennis arrived quickly... and then Tom, so I stepped aside and let them do their thing.

In the next room, I found another soldier who had not been assisted yet; so I got to work. He’d been shot in the neck; and though he was in obvious pain, he was stable. Remarkably, the bullet had missed his carotid... and his spine. 

But as I worked to start an IV and get his vitals, crowds of looky-lous screamed through the window demanding to know details. I could not hear myself think.

Why, Lord? Why must these strangers harass us while we work?

I asked them to leave but they refused. Over and over, I told them I could not work with them yelling like this, but it made no difference.

Meanwhile, more gun shot wounds filtered in, and I turned to help them.

One man had a compound fracture and was losing a lot of blood. Another had his foot filleted open, exposing tendons and nerves. The last to arrive, stumbled in on his own. In obvious shock, he barely made it to the bed before he collapsed. His shoulder had been grazed by a bullet, leaving a gaping wound.

Five soldiers. Five gun shot wounds.

We had to lock and bar the clinic front door to keep people from walking in, but even that didn't keep them all out. And although the clinic gate was locked as well, people climbed over it, insisting they had the right to bother us. It was a constant battle to keep them away.

Thankfully, all the soldiers survived. Three were transported to Wau for surgery, but the other two were stable enough to stay.

When I asked what the fighting was all about, they explained there had been more cattle raiding. The soldiers had gone to protect them and a shoot-out ensued.

Honestly with all these cattle raids, I’m reminded of the wild, wild, West. But instead of saloons we’ve got tukels; and instead of cowboys, we've got soldiers.

Please pray for them to heal quickly, and for the cattle raiding to stop. Also pray for the staff here (me in particular). I can’t speak for the rest of them... but I am tired of trying to save lives while simultaneously shooing away demanding crowds.

Tired. Disgusted. And dangerously close to burned out.

There. I said it.

Please pray as the Lord leads. Thanks.

12 comments:

  1. take care of yourself my friend. the wellbeing of your soul is just as valuable in God's eyes as the souls of those to whom you minister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't know me, but some girls from Newlife are good friends of mine, and sent me your blog link. Please know I'm praying for you, and for your heart today, and often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you are feeling. It is so frustrating. Keep up the good work. I am praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been reading your blog from California. I am not religious but deeply moved by your writing and experiences. I admire you for your selfless dedication to helping others. Stay strong. There are few people like you in this world, and you are making SUCH an impact!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kerry,
      I'm glad you took the time to drop me a note. Thank you so much for your encouragements! I really appreciate you... and them. Hugs from Sudan!

      Delete
  5. You need to be able to say that...all of it that is bubbling in there. As long and as loud as you want! You're doing a great job in very trying circumstances. It's important that you have a place to vent, to release that stress and let Him heal and fill you. I hope that if you don't feel you can let it all hang out here on this blog that somewhere else you can! I'm praying for you and the work that you do. Thank you for letting us share in your front row seat to watch Him at work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara,
      What a great reminder! One I really needed to hear. I do try to let it all hang out on this blog... but there are some things I don't feel free to share; and other things you may prefer not to know! Ha!
      But thank you for reading, for praying, for encouraging. Thank you. Thank you.

      Delete
  6. What Kaitlyn and Kerry333 said. You owe yourself the same love and care you give your patients.

    I like to think of you coming back to the States and becoming a midwife to upper middle class ladies and just experiencing the difference and being able to offer them and your fellow medical practioners the benefit of your perspective and experience!

    You'll be all, "Hey, if there's not a leopard attack victim coming in today, I AM NOT IMPRESSED." :)

    You are amazing, and you are Completely Entitled to feel frustrated, upset, imposed upon and more. Don't ever forget that you are on the crazytown far edge of adventure and self-sacrifice. You don't owe nobody nothing, and I gar-run-tee that God is on Team Stephanie as much as you are on Team God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jengod,
      You made me snortle and almost choke on my food. Thanks for that. I needed a laugh. I'm worried you might be right about the lack of excitement if I ever return to the States... ha ha. I've often wondered what it would be like back home... if I have what it takes there. :-) Perhaps one day I'll know. Until then, thanks for the encouragements. Blessings on you!

      Delete
  7. Dearest Ladies,
    I can feel those prayers today! Thank you so much for lifting me before the throne. My heart is much lighter this morning! Oxox! ~SW

    ReplyDelete