Saturday, January 29, 2011

Determined to help her live~

Two days ago, a young girl (perhaps 6 years old) was admitted with a history of seizures, aspiration and fevers due to a case of severe malaria. Dr. Tom, tired of watching these little ones die, treated her with all the meds at his disposal, but nothing seemed to stop her seizures. She continued to have them hourly despite regular doses of diazepam and Phenobarbital. It didn’t look good. You could see the worry etched across his face.

Each time a child dies in his care, it tears him to pieces. This time he was ready to give up sleep and comfort to make sure it didn’t happen again. He stayed up with her and her father all night, dosing her with medications and clearing the secretions from her mouth each time she seized. Apparently, that meant sleeping on her bed and waking every 45 minutes or so.

By 3 am, he started to see results; her seizures calmed a bit and her breathing improved. The next morning, he and her father were knackered but she was alive. Hallelujah! She continued to improve the following day but it was only this morning that she looked somewhat normal. She’s able to keep food down now and her malarial symptoms are greatly improved. Most importantly, her seizures are gone. Tom tells me she’ll be discharged this afternoon.

There is no doubt in my mind that this little girl is alive today because of his sleeplessness and concern. Thank God with me for this precious life saved. Thank God with me that me have people working here that care so much!

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful example of God's love working through the hands and feet of His people! I don't think I've ever commented before but I have been reading your blog for a few months now and I pray for all of you in Tonj every day. I am about to graduate from nursing school and look forward to beginning studies to be a midwife soon. I left my heart in Eastern Africa 2 years ago and long to return. I am so thankful for you, Dr. Tom, and all of the people working with In Deed and Truth to bring God's love and salvation to the people of Southern Sudan. Many blessings to you all!

    Sarah
    Houston, TX

    ReplyDelete