Wednesday, December 8, 2010

2nd Degree Missionary...

During lunch I found a bug baked into my bread. I quietly dug it out and threw it away.... then finished eating my sandwich. Big deal. A bug. It wasn’t alive or anything. It wasn’t hissing at me or trying to bore into my skin. I thought nothing of it.

But later, I told my roomie, Rachael, about it and she laughed. She said I was now officially a second degree missionary! Never having heard this term before, I asked her to explain.

She said that during her first missions trip to Africa, the director told her there are three kinds of missionaries.

~ A 1st degree missionary: Sees a bug in her food, gets grossed out, refuses to eat it... or at least the food it was touching.

~ A 2nd degree missionary: Sees a bug in her food, picks it out and eats on! You must eat to survive.

~ A 3rd degree missionary: Sees a bug in her food, decides it must be food. Eats it and smiles.

What kind of missionary are you?

Frankly, between us.... I’m not sure I want to be a third degree missionary... unless we are talking about deep fried crickets.... or chocolate covered ants.... or pan fried termites....  Yum!

1 comment:

  1. ::snort:: I grew up on a mission field...Bislig, Mindanao. We often have discussions in our home about issues like this. I tend to take most things in stride when my family is grossing out....we are currently in Japan and my mk upbringing is holding me in good stead. LOL Thanks for the story. It made me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete