Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Speaking in Tongues!

Each Wednesday, the staff on the compound gather around a bonfire to pray and worship. It’s our midweek service of sorts, and I love it.

Some weeks, I’m too tired to pray, but I’m never too tired to listen. Regardless of what’s going on in my heart, this ministry, or Sudan in general, it’s always nice to take an hour to re-focus on what truly matters -- worshiping the King!

Last week, as I listened to the voices around me, I couldn’t help but think of the day of Pentecost when the Spirit of the Lord descended upon the disciples. On that day, a mighty wind blew, and it looked as if fire dipped down from heaven, as the young believers were anointed in God’s Spirit. And through Him, they declared the wonders of God in many foreign tongues. It was a beautiful outpouring of the Spirit. (Acts 2:1-13)

Well, sitting around our bonfire, I hear echos of that day. Foreign tongues utter praises and supplications continually. One minute it’s in Arabic; the next it’s in English. Kiswahili is then followed up with a song in Dinka. Then it’s back to Luo.

I love it.

I don’t understand all the words, but I wholeheartedly concur with the Spirit. It’s beautiful and melodic; it’s worship in God’s many, glorious languages -- everyone speaking in tongues!

Is this what it’ll sound like in heaven?

1 comment:

  1. I sure hope so!!! I was just marveling at that at bible study while we were covering rev. 5:9&10!
    And that is usually always one of my favorite parts of going to Kenya! Many tongues worshiping together! Beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete