Saturday, October 23, 2010

Shoulder Dystocia ~

Madelina came in to deliver her baby at the same time as all my prenatal patients. When this happens... I always feel guilty sending them away. But I just can’t deliver a baby with 20 women waving their prenatal books at me impatiently. Right now I’m the only one doing them. (Anyone want to come help a sista out?)

So when I noticed contraction on top of contraction, I knew it wouldn’t be long but I still tried to get the prenatal women to come another day. No one wanted to leave. I knew I wouldn’t get to all the women out on the porch. But I didn’t care. Labors come first.

Madelina labored well, preferring to stay left-side lying. All was going well until her baby’s heart rate started dropping. She was only 8 cm but the babies heart was in the 80s, 90s. I moved her in various positions and wished to myself I had oxygen to give her but nothing changed.

I told the Clinical Officer on duty, Caleb, that I might have to resuscitate the baby and might call him in for assistance. He was just across the particle wood wall. He was ready.

But when I got back to Madelina she was fighting not to push and the fetal heart tones kept dipping and stayed low. I decided to try to help her dilate by massaging her cervix. It worked.

About 10 minutes later, she pushed out this whomper of a head. I saw him rotate somewhat but then shrink back in. (Turtle sign?)

I turned him this way. Nothing. I turned him that way. Nothing. He wouldn’t budge. My assistant (his first birth and with a jumpy personality to start) was trying to get her to sit up for some reason. (This is the OPPOSITE of what I needed but he was too high strung to hear me direct him.) Fortunately, Caleb walked in just at that time and got her in the lithotomy position. I did a bit of supra pubic pressure and climbed on the birth bed.

I’m guessing a minute passed at this point - maybe more. The baby’s head was tinged a bit blue but I’ve seen worse. I prayed and pulled and rotated. Finally something gave way and out squeaked rolls upon rolls of cubby!

Breathing, cubby, gooked covered loveliness weighing in at 4150 grams! Yeah!

3 comments:

  1. The turtle! The turtle!!! THE TURTLE!!!
    -MD
    HA HA HA HA HA

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SMb... it just occurred to me that Mai Catarina is you!!! ha ha ... so sorry to confuse you. Why the secret name? ~ SW

    ReplyDelete