Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Tea to R&B... and everything in between.

This week started out with a walk among the tea gardens of Brackenhurst - a retreat center an hour’s drive north of the city. I spent the day with new friends, enjoying kids and talking of babies to come. It was excellent in every way.

 
Later on I went to the Nairobi National Museum and saw centuries of African culture alongside giant stuffed animals. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I were eight. But as a whole I found it very interesting. Mental note: African art doesn’t come in frames. It’s on gourds, pipes and elephant tusks.


A few days later, I found myself blistering in the African heat, dancing to Christian Rap artists and R&B beat mastas at the Share the Love charity concert. I love learning about new artists but love live music even more. I got to know the Kenyan side of Christian Rap with Julianni and Javen - and hear the heart of R&B with Dietrich Hadden and his crew. What a blast!


Then to finish my week in style, I joined a friend on a day trip to the country. I spent 7 hours in a car but saw amazing things along the way! I got to meet her family, hike a mountain, gather avocados, catch a chicken ... and ultimately see a new side of Kenya. I loved every minute of it.

1 comment: