Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Guinea Worms Galore!


A man came in on Thursday with a Guinea Worm coming out of his right foot. This is my first experience with Guinea worms and I asked to take pictures. In a matter of minutes, Caleb, our trusty Clinic Officer had a hold of that sucker and was meticulously drawing it out. I watched in genuine disgust and horror as easily 10 cm stretched out before my eyes.

Guinea worms are nasty little parasites that breed in water. A person, unlucky enough to somehow ingest an egg, will soon have a worm issue. How it works is an egg lands somewhere in the body, hatches and then grows. Eventually, it finds its way to the surface by burrowing its way out!
Yikes!

Please Lord, don’t ever let me get one of these suckers! I hear they are terribly painful!

2 comments:

  1. I read this post and i suddenly feel lucky to have a life like i have now. Reading your blog, so many struggling with birth and die, lack of facilities, facing danger.. just strengthen and bold it that i'm very lucky.
    Your blog is very inspiring since i know this is hard for people who are not used to help each other. I want to be volunteer too someday! Your job is awesome. Hug from Indonesia.

    Dita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow! I've heard about these too but have never seen them. I almost didn't want to click on the pic, haha! ;o) Crazy. You are learning how to care for people in SO many ways!

    ReplyDelete