Monday, July 19, 2010

The Water War!

You’d think in the heat of the day (average 80+humidity in winter) people here would be interested in drinking water. But they aren’t.


Often women come in for prentals complaining of severe and persistent headaches, painful urination and dizziness.


I ask them how much water they’ve had in the last day. They look confused at the question. So I ask again. After thinking awhile they say they can’t drink water and haven’t had any for a few days. (I’m starting to wonder if they are not part camel.) That’s when the Water War begins. It goes something like this:


Me: If you want to feel better, you must drink more water. Try to drink about 4 liters of water a day.
Them: That’s impossible.
Me: It’s possible. Because I do it. See, I’ve had 2 liters already and it’s only noon.
Them: No. I cannot it causes me bloating.
Me: So drink little cups all day long.
Them: But I don’t like the taste.
Me: Do you like headaches more?
Them: No. But can’t you just give me pain meds.
Me: No. The only medicine you need is water. Drink water!
Them: Impossible.


I’ll probably be having this conversation the rest of my life. I feel a bit like a broken record. Sigh.


However, I had one woman come back after one of these conversations. I asked her if she was drinking water and whether or not she was still having headaches. She told me with a big smile on her face that she hadn’t had a headache since starting her water-medicine.


Success!

2 comments:

  1. That's so awesome! You are making such an impact, even if it seems no one is listening. I bet you that one woman will tell other woman and it will be passed around by word of mouth that water helps get rid of headaches. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Water-medicine! What a wonderful thing!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete