Monday, October 3, 2011

Millipedes.


Our shower is of simple construction. It consists of a spout and nozzle fastened to a concrete walled cubicle with a door. A quick turn of the nozzle and lukewarm water sprinkles out, washing the day’s dirt away.

It’s nice --especially compared to the alternative (aka: the bucket bath).

One of the fun parts about showering here is you never know who’s going to be showering with you. Some days it’s the flying termites. Other days it’s the frogs.

Yesterday it happened to be a 7 inch millipede!

I washed the soap from my eyes, turned around... then jumped! I had almost stepped on him.

I confess he startled me, but not much more. Frankly, I’m confused when someone expresses a fear of the mini legg-ed beast.

He doesn’t move fast. He doesn’t bite. In fact, other than curl up in a ball when prodded, I have had little luck getting him to do anything noteworthy.

Let’s face it, he’s a boring bug.

So why write a post about him? Why, indeed!

I think it has to do with the fact, that I came across a fancy yellow stripped one the other day. His features were more exotic than his chocolate-brown brothers, so I took a picture.

He looks pretty good, doesn’t he? I wonder what he’d taste like?

2 comments:

  1. Taste like? Ok, you have been there too long, missy.....time for Java House in NBO!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. A missionary's first year: they see a bug in their food and throw their food away.

    The second year: they pick the bug out of their food and continue eating.

    The third year: they see the bug in their food and just eat it with their food. Extra protein, right?

    The fourth year: they see a bug on the ground and catch it to put it in their food. It adds such an authentic taste!

    You must be a tested and tried missionary, Stephanie! Ok, but be careful because some of those millipedes aren't so safe to eat! LOL.

    ReplyDelete