Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Triplet update:


Our triplets are in trouble. (Previous updates and stories.)

They have lost some serious weight and are already starting to waste. Yar, their mother, is worried but conflicted. She insists there is no milk --which doesn’t seem to be the case.

I admitted them this morning, and she’s been breastfeeding them hourly (at my insistence) and supplementing with formula. I’ve asked her to let them stay for a few days and see if we can get them back on track. She’s agreed but... seems irritated at all the trouble.

Her husband told me that his cows where taken in a recent cattle raid and they are in a bind financially. He was suppose to go to the village this afternoon in an attempt to find money, but didn’t. He went home and did nothing.

Earlier this afternoon, I also told Yar to let her babies stay in the clinic and go home to make herself food. She refused even though she lives a stone’s throw away, then repeatedly insisted I feed her instead. I then suggested the grandmother (who’s done nothing but hang out all day) should go make food. But no. Apparently, granny doesn’t know how.

Huh? I laughed out loud when it was translated. She doesn’t know how?

Seriously, there is NO way that’s possible. She’s probably been making porridge for over 40 years! The fact is she won’t.

The grandmother won’t cook porridge. The mother won’t breastfeed her babies. The father won’t go to the village and sell his cow for formula... and as a result, everyone is starving.

Can I just say this now... I’m confused. Apparently, I’ve met the one family in Sudan dead-set on starving themselves.

But what I really suspect is that they are looking for an easy-out. I cannot be sure, but I think they are waiting for me to swoop in and save the day.

Behind all their excuses, I really hear the saying: “Let’s just look pathetic, make her feel sad, then she’ll give it to us for free. Let’s show her three wasted tiny skeletons and see if she’ll let them die.” 

Bitter?

Yes... that was me sounding a bit bitter. I get that way when faced with half-starved babies.

In case any of you are wondering, this is NOT normal Dinka behavior. Our staff is equally baffled... and disgusted. More than one has insisted that this couple has the means and the connections to find help. They are just giving up and want their babies to die. That way they won’t have to think about it anymore.

So there you have it. I’m not sure what to think. I might just run off with her children in the night.

Don’t think I won’t...

No seriously. Pray.

Post Script: Not thirty minutes after writing this, I went to check on them again and they were gone. They absconded in the night... and the rain. I doubt I’ll see them again.

I’m baffled... as are the rest of the patients and staff.

I’m not sure how to pray. Do I pray their deaths are not drawn out and painful? Do I pray for their parents to regain hope and kick it into gear? I don’t know.

Pray as the Lord leads. Thanks.

4 comments:

  1. Praying for them - the babies and their parents.
    Praying for you. I simply can't imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying with you for this family, that they would find God and live. His mercy and grace are unending, and I trust them to Him.

    May God who is above all things, take this burden from you and leave you with his peace. I too would just want to pick them up and run. I stand amazed at the strength God gives you in every season Stephanie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! This is disgusting!! Did they leave the babies at the clinic or take them away?!! I am praying for these babies!! Poor triplets, make me so sad, yet angry at foolish and lazy parents!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please let us know if you hear anything else about the babies.

    ReplyDelete