Saturday, June 12, 2010

Fishers of Men... Midwife of Men?


While reading through the book of Mark recently, I came across the section when Peter and Andrew were called into ministry.

Two things stand out for me in this passage. The first is that Jesus called them to come and “immediately they left their nets and followed Him.”

On the surface, Mark makes it sound like they heard Jesus speak once and (boom!) they followed.

But I’m not so sure. Jesus had been teaching in the synagogues for some time. People from all over, were coming to hear this Galilean speak. Peter and Andrew knew this Galilean was different but didn’t hesitate when given the opportunity to follow.

I like that.

However, what I find most interesting about this passage, isn’t the speed and conviction with which they dropped their nets. What catches my attention most, is the fact that Jesus calls them to do exactly what they were already doing ~ Fish!

But instead of netting trout and sturgeon, they are called to be Fishers of Men.

Think about it. He didn’t call them to be preachers or evangelists of men -- even though that is what they would end up doing. In fact, had He said that, I wonder if they would have followed at all.

Instead, He called them to do what they knew well. Fishing. This encourages me. God choses to use us where we are in life with the skills we have currently.

He will use our talents, skills, knowledge and experience if we will just let Him. He calls us to do what we are already doing for the furtherance of His kingdom. He doesn’t care if we are day care workers, architects or paper pushers. The call is the same.

“Come after Me and I will make you ________ of men.”

Are you coming?

No comments:

Post a Comment