Friday, June 18, 2010

It sure is nice to be home.

My journey began on wednesday with a canceled plane but got better along the way. Two lay-overs turned into three. But for my flexibility, I was bumped to first class part of the way!

I met a number of characters along the way (missionaries, nuns, BP gas company representatives!) and was able to sleep. I'm glad I thought to bring my own pillow. However, I'm strongly convinced that the airline industry has shrunk the seats and foot space to an all time minimum! Honestly, how much can they be saving my causing all these leg cramps and blood clots? Is it worth it?  Sigh. Regardless, it was a simple trip - long but worth every leg cramp and food stain. (yes. food finds me non-stop on these flights. Ha!)  

When I landed, I was surprised with the number of smiles and sweet consideration. Perhaps, I was expecting Haiti and didn't know it. I hadn't realize this was the case... until I noticed how surprised I was. Remarkable? Perhaps not. But the case none-the-less.

The people here are open and inviting. I get smiles everywhere I go (which offends my french veneer but blesses my American core!). I like a people willing to stare (thanks to France) and smile at strangers (American). I like a people inviting and generous of heart (love you Filipinos! I really do!) and happy to talk to anyone. And so... I've decided to like Kenyans too.

Gordon Sunga (hereto will be referred to as Professa Sunga!) picked me up at the airport and has been my constant guide ever since. He is a young man from the Luo tribe who is the logistic man for In deed and truth. I'm glad he is here. He is a good example of the Kenyan kindness. But most importantly, he has exhibited extraordinary patience with me in learning Swahili. :- ) Thus his new name - Professa!

This morning, after sleeping like a log, I woke to the sound of LOUD exotic birds cawing out my window. The sound soothingly reminded me that I was 'not in Kansas anymore'. However, I can't say it feels foreign.

Everywhere I turn, a sheen of familiarity shines through. The smell of the land reminds me of home. The crazy driving takes me back to the Philippines... but different. They drive on the left side of the road here and my brain is trying to shift to this new dimension. I have to say the reverse images flashing in my brain have shifted a number of times... and not in a good way! :- ) But all the same... it feels very familiar.

But most of all, it's the soft humid caress of the air that brings me home - home to the Philippines. The heavy air and sweet tropical flowers transport me. I feel like I've breathed this air once before. And well... with a happy sigh, I find myself thinking, "It sure is nice to be home."

No comments:

Post a Comment