Friday, June 18, 2010

No foreigners here!

Today I got shot! Shot with immunizations that is. Apparently, keeping up on your vaccination card is VERY important. When I told my nurse that I didn't have an immunization booklet with proof of all my shots, she seemed a bit surprised and quickly got me a new one. It looks very official with a handful of very cool stamps. Now I guess I'm cleared to fly into the wild unknown!

Next we went shopping for a SIM card and phone credit. I got the card but it doesn't work on my US phone and I may have to buy a cheapy just to get a few texts out. I'm holding out for some place to just hack my blackberry, but I guess that isn't as common as in the Philippines. There has to be a way!

And this evening, Gordon and I and two other missionaries from the Sudan all went to see a movie. We watched Robin Hood. It was nice. But afterward, the couple from the Sudan (Dan and Laura from Minnesota) ate in a restaurant, whereas Gordon and I went shopping for fruit! :- )

I have missed the tropical fruits and am thrilled to find them! Would you believe grapes cost roughly 500 shillings a pound but you can get big juicy mangos for 20 shillings a pound! Yum! Mangos it is!
I can handle that.

But while we were at the store, he asked me if I were comfortable here in Kenya. I told him I was very comfortable but I couldn't quite place my finger on why. So while I walked through mountains of papaya and heaps of pomelos, I considered his question.

Then it hit me! No one was staring at me. No one was calling out to me, 'hey joe!' or making cat calls behind lewd glances. I was all together uninteresting. That's it. I'm comfortable here -very comfortable- because no one treats me like a foreigner. It's refreshing.

In the Philippines, men would call out after me as I walked to the market. "Marry Me! I Love You! What is your name?" I'd laugh and keep going but it was very disconcerting. I was always made to feel like a foreigner there. I never liked the attention but eventually I got used to it.

In Haiti, instead of the silly 'proposals', I got glares and distrusting glances. I wasn't loved because of the color of my skin. I was made to feel 'less than' and seemingly hated as a result of it. I don't mean to pick on Haiti but I must say, the overall effect was to make me feel very uneasy. It was clear I was NOT one of them.

Here, all that is different. I like the fact I draw little to no attention. I enjoy being of no consequence. I appreciate blending in with the crowd. It makes me feel very much at ease and .... yes, even comfortable! Just one more reason to love it here, I'd say!

No comments:

Post a Comment