Thursday, August 19, 2010

He bends down to listen.

"I love the LORD because He hears my voice and my prayer for mercy. Because He bends down to listen, I will pray as long as I have breath!" Psalm 116:1-2

Imagine that! Our God, our Abba Father bends down to listen when we speak. When I read these words I see an image of a crying child too hurt to say anything but a whisper, running to his father. I see a loving father softly bending down and leaning in to hear what is wrong. It's an image of tenderness and love.

What father wouldn't want to hear what his precious child has to say? In the same way, our Father in Heaven delights to hear from us. Do we delight to speak to Him?

What keeps us from prayer?

Some people chose not to talk to God because they worry what others will think. They worry they'll say the wrong thing and look silly to their friends. Others don't pray because they let life's distractions crowd their day until they are too tired to do much more than nap. And I'm sure there are those that refuse to pray because they have it all figured out. "Why ask God what He thinks when I'm going to do it my way anyway?" Selfishness. Stupidity. Sin.

But I think it's more than that. I think we don't pray because we don't understand who God is and what a privilege it is to speak to Him. 

We have the RIGHT to talk to God! He delights to hear us speak! He bends down to listen!

Think about it! If we really had a clue as to how radical a statement that is, how outrageous an honor, we wouldn't stop praying!

So I exhort you. Pray without ceasing because He's listening.

4 comments:

  1. I just wanted to send you a note of encouragement. You have blessed my through your blog. You are in my prayers and I tell all of my fellow "midwifery/birthy" friends to read your blog.
    Let me know of anything you need prayer for or need other then money (I know I can send that to the support address you provided) and I will pass your/clinics needs on to our fellow sisters in Christ/midwifery. Your blog is one of the reasons I got my dream kickstarted again.
    I pray God richly blesses you in your ministry and all other aspects!
    Charlene :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant tell yhou how very much I needed that. Thank you my friend, I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this post. I've actually been struggling with alot of doubts and things surrounding prayer. Last night I went out to Boodle's with Bethany Stewart (did you know her?) and had a little chat about this very topic. Don't have any answers, but I'm sure that the fact I am struggling with the topic points to God speaking to me about it. I've had ALOT of prayers over the past 10 years I've been a christian get "answered" in some very heart-breaking ways...so the whole topic is very shrouded in mystery to me. Today I was meditating on the Lord's Prayer and felt like maybe, just maybe, our prayers really do mean something, they actually partner us with God in some mysterious way. Anyway, not to write a book here on your blog, haha!...these are just some thoughts. :)

    xoxo
    Beth

    ReplyDelete